Approaching the building in piazza Mino from Florence, the visitor firstly sees the right-hand wall. Built in the basilica layout, it was constructed by bishop Jacopo il Bavaro in 1028 and extended in the 13th Century. The bell tower has an inscription at the base dated 1206 but its present aspect, with its crenellated top comes from twentieth Century renovation work by the architect G. Castellucci.
The cathedral is dedicated to bishop Romulus martyr who founded the church in Fiesole. Major renovation works began in 1878 on the inner and outer walls which gave the façade its neo gothic look of today. Excavations in the crypt completed in 1990 revealed a continuity of life from the Hellenistic period up to the 14th Century. The interior of the church is markedly Romanic similar to S. Miniato al Monte. It has three naves separated by stone columns all different from each other with splendid capitals.
The cathedral and its chapels house a number of prestigious works such as the frescoes by Cosimo Rosselli, sculptures by Mino da Fiesole and panels of the Ghirlandaio school. Furthermore, the high altar has a splendid polyptych by Bicci di Lorenzo and a canvas by Baccio Maria Bacci.