Built to train the clergy in accordance with the precepts of the Council of Trent, it was inaugurated in 1637 by Bishop Lorenzo della Robbia and, two years later it was given its Costituzioni or disciplinary rules by Pope Urban VIII. It was added to in 1697 by Bishop Filippo Neri Altoviti and again by Bishop Luigi Maria Strozzi in 1726.
The building with its east-facing façade and regular squared layout stretching north to south closes in the “lawn” of the cathedral in piazza Mino, probably up to where the Roman forum ends below ground archaeological discoveries were made as works proceeded.
The seminary grew to become the most important training centre of the territory of Fiesole and as such it remained until the late twentieth Century. It gave an education not only to all the priests of the Diocese but also to many young people who were to follow a non-religious career. In the nineteenth Century it acquired scientific equipment for educational purposes and then Angelo Maria Bandini bequeathed his precious library to it. Today in the Episcopal Seminary there are wonderful contemporary and ancient works